Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Helping Other Writers

If you're a writer who has found some success at attracting readers, I have a question for you: How can you help others along the same path? What can you do to give back to the writing profession?

Here's what I do:

1) Dedicate a few minutes every few days to leaving comments on blogs and websites I consider useful and thought-provoking--but aren't yet widely read.

2) Run a regular links post on my blog to bring attention to good material on other sites (I do this with my Friday Links series at Casual Kitchen, my food blog).

3) Send occasional emails with feedback and encouragement to authors or writers I enjoy reading.

Early along in Casual Kitchen's history, a couple of high-traffic blogs linked to some of my best posts. Those seemingly minor acts of support helped me get in front of thousands of new readers.

I've been trying to pay it forward to other bloggers ever since.

Readers: what do you do to help other writers? Share in the comments!