Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Ideas are Dumb And Other Lies

Nobody wants to read what I write.
My ideas are dumb.

Every couple of days, my inner critic pipes up and makes one or both of these claims. Usually both. Do you ever hear this kind of stuff from the voice inside your head? Yep, I thought so.

Well, have heart, because both statements are false. And even if they were true, they still don't matter.

Let's deconstruct both statements.

First, how do you know nobody wants to read what you write? Have you ever put anything out there to verify this? Or are you just assuming?

Second, what's wrong with having dumb ideas? Are you so special that you should only have brilliant ideas? Hell, I don't know about you, but at least 90% of my ideas are dumb. But that means one of every ten ideas I have isn't dumb.

So go think up nine more ideas. I promise you, at least one of them won't be dumb.