Sunday, April 28, 2013

Your First, Most Important Choice of the Day

In the morning, when you first sit down to begin writing, you have a choice. An incredibly important choice.

Will you start with your work? Or with a quick browse of your email and a few different sites?

Oh, man, that second choice is so tempting, isn't it?

It'll only take a few minutes to check my email. I'll delete a few things and then I'll get right back to writing. Yeah, and maybe I'll quickly check Facebook too, but just for a second. It won't take that long. Then I can get started with my creative work.

And just like that, before you know it, you've wasted, at a minimum, the first half hour of your day. Perhaps much more. You've distracted yourself and you've hurt your productivity. Worst of all, you're unlikely to remember anything of what you just wasted your time on.

This is not what you're here on Earth to do.

Start with your creative work first. Then reward yourself with a quick browse of the internet.