Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Unforgettable One-Liners of Groucho Marx

Who are you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?

Groucho Marx's best quotes still resonate as hilariously today as ever.

I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.
Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife.


Why are these one-liners so funny--and so memorable? Because every one is a misdirection play. These quotes wrong-foot the reader. They fake him right out of his socks.

Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot.
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.


Now that we've already seen the quotes of Yogi Berra, here's yet another model you can follow when you craft your own perfect turns of phrase.

One final Groucho quote for those of you hoping someday to publish a full-length book. I recommend memorizing it for irony's sake:

From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it.